Wait till your baby is 12months old before introducing cow’s milk!
Simply because of the following reasons:
- The protein in cow’s milk troubles your baby’s digestive system.
- It can harm your baby’s kidneys due to the ample amount of sodium, potassium and chloride the cow’s milk contains.
- It doesn't contain all the vitamins and minerals to help the growth and development of your baby during this time; most essential being vitamin E, zinc, and iron.
- It can cause iron deficiency, internal bleeding, and a high risk of an allergic reaction on your baby.
Start using cow’s milk once your baby’s digestive system is ready!
- Cow’s milk is a great source of calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin A.
- It will build your baby's bones, teeth and help his body regulate his blood coagulation and muscle control.
- It not only provides protein for growth, but carbohydrates as well, which will give your baby the energy he needs to toddle all day!
- Note that if your baby gets enough quantity of calcium, there will always be a lower risk of high blood pressure, stroke, colon cancer, and hip fractures later in life.
Apply the following tricks on your baby to get used to having cow’s milk!
- This is primarily because milk has a different texture, taste, and even temperature than breast milk or formula
- Try mixing whole milk with some breast milk or formula at first, then slowly shift the ratio until its 100 percent whole milk
- Also try giving your baby just a little bit of whole milk at a time; a few tablespoons as a treat till he/she asks for more
- You can mix it with some cereal and try that
Do note that the quantity of cow’s milk you should give your child is very important!
- 1- to 2-year-old child should drink 16 to 24 ounces of whole milk a day
- If your child drinks more than two to three glasses of milk during the day, he may not have room at dinner for the other foods that he needs to round out his/her diet.
- Your child needs plenty of iron-rich foods like leafy green vegetables and meat.
- If your baby is thirsty, try to get him/her in the habit of drinking water throughout the day, too.
Do not give your baby fat-free or reduced-fat milk just as yet!
- Your baby needs the higher fat and caloric content for his growth and development right now
- For children under 2 years old, fats should make up about half of the total caloric intake for the day
- After another year, you may decide to switch to reduced-fat or nonfat milk only if he/she doesn't have any growth problems
- Exceptional case: your nutritionist will recommend starting now with reduced-fat milk, only if you are overweight or obese, or have a family history of obesity, high cholesterol, or cardiovascular disease.
Tips if your baby doesn’t like the milk, even after the transition!
- Remember the minimum requirement is 16 oz, chocolate milk does add sugar to your child's diet, but it does have the same amount of calcium and other important vitamins and minerals as plain milk.
- Better option is going for a powdered flavoring — just a small amount will provide less sugar than pre-flavored milks, like for example Ovaltine, or Nesquick both contain added vitamins and minerals which is sufficient for the baby
- Other ways to sneak milk into your child's diet is to serve him/her puddings, custards, and shakes for snacks.
It is relatively uncommon for your child to be allergic to cow’s milk!
- It is a proven fact that only 2 to 3 percent of children are allergic to milk, and 95 percent of them outgrow it by age 3.
- If your child drank cow's-milk-based formula as a baby without any problems, you can rest easy that he'll have no problems tolerating regular cow's milk.
- If your child drank soy formula because your doctor recommended it, though, check with your doctor before starting him on cow's milk.
- Rice milk, on the other hand, is not a good choice for your baby because it's usually low in protein, calcium, and B vitamins.
- The main symptoms of milk allergy are blood in the stool, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- You will have to be very careful if it turns out that your baby is allergic to cow's milk. Immediately avoid foods such as cottage cheese, condensed and evaporated milks, ice cream, yogurt, margarine that contains milk, butter, milk chocolate, and powdered milk.
- Consult your baby’s pediatrician immediately.
Submitted on: 25/01/2010 03:48:17
Monday, June 24, 2013
- Thanks for the comment, Jody. I'm not sure how faobluus my life is but it's definitely fun. Thank you! I'm with you on the games. I think they feel really forced and most ppl I know do not like them. I think food and drinks are enough to bring people together. Sometimes it's more painful if you don't know anyone and have to interact by playing games. It's like a team-building exercise at work!
Friday, June 28, 2013
A smart mom breast feeds her baby. Immunoglobins are peoducrd in mom's body and put in breast milk. These ImG are made based on the bacteria/ viruses from baby's mouth to the mom's nipple. You cannot replace breast milk- there is no substitute. Formula companies want you to be dependent on them. The hospitals handing out formula want your baby to get sick- BECAUSE THEY WILL MAKE A BUCK. There is no replacement for what God created! If you cannot breastfeed then find a milk bank with google. http://pfeuhtrkee.com [url=http://ipqftoxatfw.com]ipqftoxatfw[/url] [link=http://vhlcfsxosb.com]vhlcfsxosb[/link]
Friday, July 19, 2013
amen to that.. safe journey meeicrs.. hey Gab, didnt know u have a baby hidden somewhere..so cute some more.. hehe... may i carry her next time??? http://voeoli.com [url=http://dqjxttl.com]dqjxttl[/url] [link=http://jawpsjgopn.com]jawpsjgopn[/link]
Monday, July 22, 2013
Just would want to express this kind of post is altlacuy striking. The high quality in your post is simply wonderful and i can easily believe you could be an expert about this subject. Nicely with your agreement permit me personally to grab the feed maintain to date with incoming article. Thanks one million and be sure to carry on the great operate. http://vurcigemiuv.com [url=http://ijwrynmttz.com]ijwrynmttz[/url] [link=http://ohtylues.com]ohtylues[/link]